A few weekends ago, my friend was looking to teach his 9-year old son about philanthropy. He asked his son Benji to name the one thing he’d do to make his community better. His son’s response was to build “mac & cheese” vending machines. His reasoning was that “mac & cheese” is so good that people should be able to get some whenever they want.
Each of us gives back to our community in different ways. I’d like to share with you an idea that works for me.
Before I get to that, I’ll ask if you know the CPABC? CPABC is the Carle Place Athletic Booster Club and is a registered 501(c)(3) charity. In the past 6 years the CPABC provided over $110,000 toward CPHS athletes and coaches, including equipment ($62,000), scholarships ($25,000), clothing ($9,800), and $12,000 of miscellaneous items such as meal money for athletes and coaches who attend New York State championship tournaments, and of course the beloved Senior Towels provided to each graduating senior who participated in CPHS athletics. Notable recent equipment additions include scoreboards, digital video cameras, ultraviolet wrestling mat sterilizer, and a protective pitching L-screen.
The idea I wanted to mention is for those who already donate, or are considering donating, to the United Way through their employer or directly. Those funds can be directed to the CPABC if you choose. Of course we also accept family memberships and direct donations through our mailbox at the High School or through the CPHS Athletic Department (c/o Chris Ceruti).
General Guidance for United Way Donations
1. Follow your company link or individual contributors can go to the United Way site at www.unitedwaynyc.org
2. Follow the donation links, filling in all required information
3. The United Way allows you to specify donations to their general fund, to specific action areas (e.g., education, income or health) or to specific agencies. To direct your donation to the CPABC you will need to select the option for donating to a specific local agency or charity.
4. The Carle Place Athletic Booster Club may already be present in the list of agencies to choose from since we receive donations today from the United Way. If so, select the CPABC and continue on to complete the process.
5. If you don’t see Carle Place Athletic Booster Club as an option, you can enter our name on the pledge form. Besides our name, some or all of the following information may also be required:
a. Address: C/O Carle Place High School, 168 Cherry Ln, Carle Place, NY 11514
b. Alternate Name: Carle Place Athletic Booster & Physical Education Foundation
6. If you experience difficulties or have questions about an on-line contribution you can contact the ePledge Help Desk via email firstname.lastname@example.org .
For more information on donating to the CPABC through the United Way, please contact Jim Spangler, Treasurer at email@example.com. For more information on the CPABC, please visit our website at www.cpathleticbooster.org or reach out to Robert Jarvis, President at firstname.lastname@example.org or Hadiah Chiappone, Vice President at email@example.com.